Friday, March 13, 2015

Decorating With Something Simple. . .Brooms


"At one time, a farmhouse wasn't complete without a set of brooms and whisks to sweep the dirt out the door, clear the cobwebs out of the corners, whisk away the fireplace ashes, and quickly remove crumbs from the table."


Brooms are no longer an important cleaning tool for the farmhouse. . .but they can be an interesting decorating element. . .I find myself buying vintage brooms as often as I see them. . . and have quite a collection. . .It's also a folk art that is no longer practiced in this area of the Delta. . .So, John and I decided to revive it. . .to learn how to make simple round and whisk brooms. . .Where better to learn than at Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill in Kentucky, since the Shakers were the ones who 'invented' the technique of making the flat broom that we all know. . .We headed to Kentucky for a weekend workshop. . .If you'd like to learn more about our experience--read the story of 'sweeping the yard', see more of our broom-making weekend, and find links to tutorials and other broom-making information, I have another post at: The Folk Art of Brooms and Broom-making . . .This post is all about decorating with a very common element. . .the broom. . .







Many think using brooms in their décor requires a primitive setting. . .or a Fall vignette. . .Not true. . .Brooms add a touch of plain and simple style anytime of the year. . .I enjoy adding broom accents to our farmhouse because they are a part of our heritage. . .and because I actually use them. . .I'm sure you've noticed them before in my posts. . .Such as this one on REAL SIMPLE STYLE . . .
 
What could be more 'FARMHOUSE' than this? 
Another reason to use brooms in your décor is that they are relatively cheap. . .Buy them at flea markets and antique malls and you'll get a double perk: Inexpensive and Instant Patina. . .I do prefer the vintage or handmade brooms for my own collection and use. . .but it's not necessary.








Yep. . .We made these at the workshop. . .We do need practice. . .(smile). . .Yet, our attempts make a decorating statement when stacked in a wooden bread bowl. . .
I've included a few more decorating ideas below. . .some favorites from my  PINTEREST BOARDS. . .

Ever changing chalkboard wall - now turned into the Hocus Pocus Broom Co. for Halloween.  The names of the brooms are a little tricky to read, but there is (from left to right) the Haunted Hog, Frightful Flyer, Cauldron Lowrider, Swift Sweeper, and The Wicked Witch broom with the bent & wonky handle.
(SOURCE)

WANT MORE INSPIRATION?
VISIT THE DUNCAN FARMSTEAD PINTEREST BOARD


Spring Cleaning
(SOURCE)


(SOURCE)



Vintage Collection Brooms on Rake Head GREAT Display
(SOURCE)



~antique whisk brooms on garden rake~ ~red wagon on top of old sewing machine base~ ~Wooden & wire sieves~!  <3
(SOURCE)



The Country Farm Home: Remember the Prim Cabinet Yard Sale Find?
(SOURCE)



 

O
(SOURCE)

WANT TO LEARN MORE?
 
 
The Country Farm Home
(SOURCE)
 
So LOVELY. . .So FARMHOUSE. . .Brings a SMILE. . .
Hey. . .I just had a thought. . .Maybe part of that smile is. . .
ACTUAL USE OPTIONAL
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So interesting.

Junkchiccottage said...

Dru,
These are awesome. I have an old broom like this that is hung on a wreath in my laundry room. Love these wisk brooms. They are so great.
Kris

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have one! I want to fill up a rake head! Thanks for all the ideas!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

How fascinating! It sounds like an interesting art.
I love sweeping my hard wood floors! We have an imported Italian broom and it works the best. Even beats out the vacuum!

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

So fun (at least to look at - not use, lol)! I love the texture and the simplicity of them. I am definitely on the hunt now for one - or two! Jane

Unknown said...

Beautiful story Dru. . . I have an old broom on m patio, compliments of Gramma. I love the way it feels in my hands, the looks of it but by far the way it get after the dirt. . . If you're interested, there is someone selling a lot of 5 brooms on our local Craigs list sight. . . I think its 10 bucks. . . and they just may ship. . . Happy Spring. . . ~d

Cindy Lou said...

I have a country farmhouse in Boise Idaho area! I have collected brooms for years! Absolutely love them as well as use them! love! love! love! Great post! lOVE your blog! I so look forward to it! Happy decorating,Cindy

Connie said...

What an interesting post and what a charming blog you have. This post brought back a memories. Years ago when I was first married, I knew this lovely lady, that each time she bought a new broom, she would cut a handful of broom bristles from it, about the thickness of a dime or maybe a nickel. She would tie one end tight with sting and use this tidy broom to sweep the corn silks from corn, when she husked it. It works very well :) Wow, I haven't thought of that in 40 years.
I am your newest follower and would love to invite you to visit my blog.
Have a lovely day.
Connie :)

Old Time Cindy said...

Hey Dru! I still think you should sell the brooms you make. They are an old time craft and add to the farmhouse look. I really like some of these ideas on how to display them.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

I never thought about using them as decorating items, but they look so great I know I'll be on the hunt for them now. My favourite pic is the enamel bucket pic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...