Friday, April 12, 2013

It's Garden Time!


The farmers around here are "chomping at the bit" to get in the fields and start planting the cotton, soybeans, and rice. . . .This Farmer's Daughter isn't much better. . . .I'm ready to plant our gardens!. . . .Too bad the weather isn't cooperating. 

Did you notice, I said garden-S?


 We have a vegetable garden behind the farm shop. . . .It's certainly nothing fancy. . . .but it does the trick. . . .John has been busy at work on it for the last few weeks--building a couple of raised beds. . . .tilling. . . .composting. . . .


We put together the entire garden from recycled materials. . . .The fence was moved from another part of the farm. . . .The seed beds are framed with old barn wood. . . .The center planter was a piece off the chimney flue. . . .The gates were wooden pallets. . . .The concrete "rocks" are from the fireplace tear down. . . .Vines were cut from the bayou and laced into the fencing. . . . .That's our cute outhouse in back. . . .It's not actually in the garden.


In past years we have utilized the shop garden for tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers--all the basics. . . .This year, we decided to move the smaller plants to our rose garden--right outside the back door. . . .Plants will be better protected there--from the elements and "varmits". . . .I'll also be adding herbs to the mix. . . .Years and years ago I had a huge herb garden and loved it. . . .Time to start another. . . .


Prepping this bed has kept us busy. . . .Still have that big clump of ivy to move. . . .The rooster and chicks will stay. . . .The remaining rose bushes (4) will stay. . . .A picket fence will go up and extend to the other side of the walkway, leaving some room for a garden bench and potted plants. . . .The walkway is to the left of the monkey grass you see in the second photo. . . .I think I'm gonna love it!


Lots of work. . . .but lots of satisfaction, I think. . . .


And the shop garden? It will be planted with corn and the taller and/or sprawling veggies. . .

I thought we might start planting today, but the ground is still too muddy from all the rain we had this week. . . .Maybe Saturday?

Shoot!
Sure looks like there will be no junkin' done this weekend!. . . .That's fine. . . .I'd rather play in the dirt!

It's Garden Time, My Friends!



. . .from my farmhouse to yours. . .

13 comments:

Dawn said...

I can't wait to see your garden all planted. Love that you used recycled things. Happy planting:)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

How exciting!! We still have two more months before planting time here. But we can start dream'n and planning! This year the focus will be on landscaping my flower beds, but I am sure we will have time for veggies.

Happy Gardening!

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

Your Farm is just lovely ...and I bet you can't wait to get your hands in the soil .. especially after the long winter that the groundhog assured us all wasn't going to happen ...LOL !

Blessings ..Sara

Pamela Gordon said...

It is so nice to see a big farm garden in your backyard. I agree a fenced in garden is a deterrent to the critters that wander in. They'll find the goodies pretty fast too! I hope you can get your garden planted this weekend. It'll be another month or more here before we can start but we hope to put one in at our son's. I hope we can keep the dogs, deer and raccoons out! Enjoy!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Enjoy playing in he dirt Dru. I look forward to your garden posts. It's still not spring here.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh how lovely to have two gardens! You will be richly rewarded for all this digging and hard work, when everything begins to grow. I have grown my own herbs for years, but really want to grow some tomatoes this year. I'll probably have to use pots, as my back yard is all sloped.

Florida Farm Girl said...

How wonderful to be excited about your garden to be!! I don't bother for several reasons -- no sunny space and being away so much in the summer the primary ones.

I'll look forward to yours and enjoy it vicariously. Now what are we gonna do about tasting some of those goodies???

Old Time Cindy said...

All looks like fun. I have spring crops in, but won't be able to plant warm weather veggies for a few weeks now. Hopefully soon, we'll be enjoying it all.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

SouthernHeart said...

I know how much work that is but it's also a lot of fun with great rewards. Loved all your photos!

Blessings,
Dianne
www.sweetjourneyhome.com

Little Susie Home Maker said...

You garden just sounds like so much fun!! I sure thing that it looks and sounds like a great place to spend the day. Love the chickens :) Outhouse is cute, too! Hope it dries out enough for you to plant!
Blessings,
Susie

Junkchiccottage said...

I can't wait to see your garden in full bloom. I too love that you recycle. That is so great.
Kris

Mimi said...

As a city girl, I wish I even had one garden. Planting time will be hear soon. Just hang on.

Anonymous said...

We are planting a garden this week for the first time ever! I might need your help! Love the seed packets and all the details in your fun photos!
Jenna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...